I've pocket carried since 1972. It has advantages and disadvantages. There is a limit to the size of handgun you can carry in a pocket. A J-Frame or similar revolver is about perfect. These days I routinely carry a S&W Shield 9mm in my pocket, but I'm a big guy and maybe my pockets are bigger than those in skinny jeans. The pocket carry method works best with a pocket holster, both to conceal the outline of the gun, cover the trigger to prevent an unintended discharge and also to orient the pistol for better access.

Some guns make me squeamish about carrying them in a pocket, such as pretty much any single action pistol, and any "safe action" semiauto such as a Glock or Shield UNLESS you use a good pocket holster. Also, you should NEVER carry anything else in the pocket (keys, coins, etc) because they could interfere with the trigger and make for an unsafe situation. So you lose the use of one pocket for any other purpose.

The gun will collect lint and other debris after awhile and should be checked on a regular basis and cleaned and lubricated when needed.

Pocket carry makes for a difficult draw when seated and is not as fast when standing as some other methods, but you can have your hand on the weapon in the pocket if you are in a tight spot and hopefully nobody will be suspicious or offended. I always carry the weapon in my strong side front pocket.

I like pocket carry because for me it is comfortable and can be done with almost any mode of dress. It doesn't require an outer garment or even a shirt at all in hot weather. I often carry a Glock 19 in a belt holster when wearing a jacket, but the Shield is still in my pocket as a second gun when I do.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/22/17.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...