Originally Posted by Windfall
The lead detective on my home invasion case told me that I would have been well within my rights to have used lethal force because they had placed me in a life threatening situation hitting me with that brick among other things. He said that the Castle Doctrine would have justified it. My Para 1911 was locked in a bedroom drawer and that is what I went for when two of those guys were sacking my son's room. Logic would say that I should have locked the bedroom door and called 911. Jacked up on adrenaline, bleeding, scared and mad as hell, let me tell you that you don't think logically at a time like that. They heard me loading that pistol and ran out. Had that handgun been with me or even loaded when I got to it, I have no doubt that I would have shot someone. The Justice Department picked up my hospital bill, but I think that I would have been on my own in a civil trial. I think about that when ever I carry a handgun now. A good read is "In The Gravest Extreme" for all you guys that carry a handgun.

The lead detective is a fool for giving legal advice....