Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

in any given approach to self defense, one should look at the totality of a method--and that means leaving nothing out.

subsequently, pocket carry can be a valid means--but it should be looked at in some type of appropriate context.

here where i live, it is essentially winter from mid October to mid March. over the past 37 or 38 years, my wife and i do a walk of about 4 miles every day. normally, i prefer to carry inside waistband, right appendix, and this has been my preferred method for many years. on these walks i usually wear a medium weight jacket, then a hoodie, and then a long, water repellant nylon shell over the top. most times, big clumsy gloves are a must. with this garb on and my preferred method of carry, i've found that if potentially needed, i can't get a rig into action quickly--it is much too slow.

that is when i utilize pocket carry, carrying a Ruger 2 1/4 inch factory hammer bobbed .357 magnum, using 125 gr. Gold Dots in a mid-load. i carry it in my left (non-dominant side), jacket pocket, which is big and roomy--and sans a holster. at times one can remove the glove, and keep a hand on the rig. it can be brought into action quickly if needed, or fired right through the pocket....

each person has to find what might work for them, and then prove that given approach out at the range--using a timer.
I consider coat pocket concealed carry to be an entirely separate category that typically works much better than pants pocket concealed carry, and is often superior to IWB, which would be too slow when one is fully bundled up for the cold. Ideally, if concealment weren’t an issue, open carry on an exterior belt would be the best solution, but short of that, coat pocket carry is the best alternative in these circumstances. When most of us bring up pocket carry, though, I believe we have in mind pants pockets, unless otherwise specified.