Originally Posted by Windfall
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

Yeah, like you suggest, having delayed access to a pocket firearm is worlds better than not having access to one. Likewise, having a gun in your glove compartment (even if you're twenty yards or more away from it), is worlds better than not having such access. That said, having a handgun ready on your belt for a quick deployment is worlds better than having it in your pocket or glove compartment, especially when you consider all the security cam footage we have of successful self-defense with a concealed handgun, where a split second made the difference between a successful self-defense with a concealed handgun and a failed effort, leading to the death of the victim.

No way I'd carry in the pocket unless I had no other choice.

PS In my early years of concealed carry, back in the 1980s, and a little into the 1990s, I carried in the pocket about as often as on the belt. The more I thought about how I'd more likely than not need to deploy it in self-defense, however, the less I liked the idea of pocket carry.