Originally Posted by Windfall
Like a lot of you I've got a CCW permit, but I only carry occasionally. I've thought about an ankle holster, but using that front right pocket in my jeans seems like a pretty darn handy place for my little J frame. It is a hammer model, so I suppose that it could snag, but it seems to me that a confrontation out on the mean streets wouldn't be a fast draw situation anyway. Having it along anywhere beats not having it with it home in the drawer.

Random thoughts----there's no such thing as a "fast draw" from a pocket holster or an ankle holster. If you decide to pocket carry, don't do it "occasionally" make it a daily habit so that you feel "unusual" when you don't have it in your pocket. Don't "suppose" that your hammer will snag, assume that it will--practice drawing from your pocket to confirm that a hammer gun is generally a poor choice, you'll ruin a number of trousers proving it to yourself-----pocket holsters are distinctly unserviceable to people that are seated and have limited space for mobility, in those cases ankle holsters, cross draw and shoulder holsters are far more accessible, i.e. if you're driving on a cross country vacation or you're a truck driver or in theater seating at a movie, in a pew at church, etc. then pocket carry is probably not your best choice. It requires a change of mindset but get your clothes to fit the gun, not a gun to fit your clothes. Go to Goodwill and get a couple of old jackets that fit you, try shooting thru the pocket to see how and if your gun will function with more than one round.

In the early 80's when I worked for Bianchi, we sold a set of J-frame grips that extended up the back of the frame and acted as a hammer shroud. It basically turned a model 36 into a model 49. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any for sale at gun shows for years, but they were a good attempt at making hammer guns less likely to snag.

JMO-YMMV.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.