This time of year my momma cows are out on stalks and have a creek that will stay open nearly all the time. Only have to worry about feeding them after they've picked the field clean or we get at least 6"-8" of snow cover that stays.

Last spring's crop of calves, who are pushing 800lbs, are in my little feed lot and they take minimal time to deal with. They are each eating about 24lbs of a blended feed along with whatever hay they want off of a big round bale. Automatic waterer takes care of them, I turn the heater on full-time in November and off for good usually in late March.

So not much time on a day to day basis. No complaints.

My main income is from row crops. The cows stay around because I like 'em. They pay their way and provide the best beef out there. And there is not much of anything more enjoyable to me than watching a bunch of month old black calves racing around a green pasture about sundown, tails up and....., well you know what I mean.

Sam, I've seen pictures of your cows and your facilities, always impressive pictures you post.

Tough country you live in, it breeds tough men. It's not an easy way to make a living, but it's a good way to do it.

Black Cows Matter!