Safflower looks like a 2/3'rds size sunflower seed, but its all white.

Yes, it is supposed to be very digestible, in fact the old feed book I have did not suggest cracking or rolling it. It has good protein...about as much as cake. Plus good energy and fat.

I was going to send it to Malta and have it made into cake but they would not do it. Too much oil in it.....was supposed to gum up the mill.

We would have liked to graze or hay the safflower crop we had in 2016, but we combined it instead.

Reason we did that was because of all the rain. It was just dry enough to combine at the time, and more rain was coming.

We sent a sample to the lab in Great Falls, but the specialty seed grader was out for two weeks for training. We had no idea of the quality.

So we gambled and combined it, not knowing if it was good quality or not.

It was not good quality! 32 pounds per bushel instead of 38 or 40.

Would have been valuable to us as grazing or hay.......not as loose seed.

Yeah, I have had a tobacco cure go from brown to black. I suppose the real dark stuff is not quite as good feed, but it never seemed to make a difference to the cows.

They would trample the green stuff to get to the tobacco cure.

As long as it was not moldy we never worried about it.

If it was moldy, I would run it through the processor and then the cows ate the hell out of it. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but never seemed to hurt anything.

I am MAGA.