Ouch 80 plus degrees beating down on a new black calve is not good at all. Most of the cattle country up here went through a terrible drought last year too but it didn't come early in fact the spring was quite wet and there was a bumper crop of grass and browse. Then someone shut the taps and cranked the heat and by July we were in to the worst forest fire season on recorded history here. All that lovely new growth of the spring... dead, and laying around like kindling in the hot winds. How's a guy supposed to win?

Anyways every year can't totally suck and this one doesn't have much suck in it yet sept for some extra plowin and such I guess when you think of the big picture. The Peace river country the better part of a thousand miles north of here, about as far north as anyone should be cattle ranching, and they do, just got a for real winter storm and a road closing class dump of snow over the weekend I'm told. So they'll have enough to do right about now. They say you need the farmin gene to do this. Looks like to me a bit of the gambling gene too. Ha