Originally Posted by fishdog52
From a guy that has hunted NY and PA for many decades, the change from a Sat opener to Saturday is a BIG deal.
NY shifted to a Saturday opener several years ago. The impact was significant, and not positive.
Deer season has never been simply about hunting, there has always been a huge social side.
Historically, "the guys" would start showing up in camp on Friday.
There was time to cook up a big perch fry,
maybe have a couple extra drinks, and have time to recover
stay up a late night, or two, playing cards,
sight in your firearms,
repair whatever need fixing,
visit other camps,
and generally catch up with old friend and relatives.
Much of this disappeared with the Monday opener. Guys work thru Friday and show up late, a fast food dinner, and out hunting at zero dark thirty. It made a real change for the worse at my camp, as well as several others that I visit.
Lastly, one of the states arguments was that the change would sell more licenses, attract more hunters. Just did not happen.
The population of folks that prize the hunt, with the kill being secondary, continues to decline. The breed just gets grayer, and slowly disappears into the sunset.
Pennsylvania's situation is doubly absurd, open on a Sat, but no hunting on Sunday???
Funny. Everybody I know likes the Saturday opener. The VAST MAJORITY of NY deer hunters don't hunt out of a camp. I love the Saturday opener myself. Had to work too many openers when it was Monday.