I have compassion for folks on both sides of this issue. And it's easy to relate to both.

I also have compassion for the folks in wildlife conservation and management. Most get into that field due to passions for biology, ecosystems and the outdoors only to realize their real job is kowtowing to politics and social science.
There is never unanimous joy in any of their decisions. It's a thankless job filled with public resentment and I believe I'd sooner visit the dentist than have to walk a day in their shoes.

If the general public had 100% say in all decisions, some would do a nice job in their own wildlife management but it'd likely be self-serving. The vast majority would drive that bus right off the phuggin' cliff.

From my readings on this forum and others concerning deer hunting in PA, there's already been an ongoing decline in "camps" and tradition because younger generations in the lineage simply don't have the interest.
With the downward trend in license sales/hunters from coast-to-coast, it certainly seems like the perfect time to begin new traditions involving new/young hunters. It sure seems like a weekend opener would at least allow for current non-hunting youngsters Timmy and Sally to hunt on Saturday when mom would never think of letting them off of school. Timmy and Sally are the future of hunting folks - we've got to change with the times - nothing is forever.

From the outside looking in, it seems to me the decision offers a certain degree of flexibility for all but the diehard traditionalists.
I have not read the legislation - does it preclude anyone of what they've done in the past? Continue to have the social event on the weekend, then begin hunting on Monday?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D