Originally Posted by Dogshooter
This post may carry a heavy stench of mid-life crisis..... and to some degree that may be valid..... but.....

Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

My answer has been the same in every instance..... Tikka 6.5 Creed and a case of Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo.

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my own advice? I mean.... we used to have to spend hours, and hundred or even thousands of dollars to get the kind of performance I can buy on the shelf at Sportsman's now for $600 and $25/box ammo.

I used to love to sit in my basement and reload rifle rounds.... for a dozen or better cartridges.... for my family.... for my buddies. But at some point, it turned into a downright chore. Recent changes in life have caused an uprooting, and now all my reloading stuff (two large totes worth) has been sitting idle for the past 6 months.... and frankly, I haven't missed it.

I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench. Even if I could.... I wouldn't be saving any money... and I'd be "wasting" a lot of time.

So..... I'm thinking of doing something I would have never believed I'd even consider. Getting rid of it all... The KS 7 Mag.... the Benchmark barreled Tikka 6 Creed... the .300 Blackout.... the 25lbs of powder.... the couple thousand projectiles... the presses.... the dies.... ALL OF IT.

Seems like I could parlay those resources into a hunt or two with my boys.... some new 15x glasses.... or some other gear that would make my actual hunting more enjoyable.

Hell..... I'm even considering doing something Uber crazy.... and going back to my .270 Win roots..... that's right.... I said it.... a Two-F'n-Sebenty....

I may not go that far.... but for my hunting needs (out to 500ish).... it would cover all my bases.

What say the masses...... am I totally out of my gourd? Except for the .270 thing.... I know that's Bat Schitt (but practical).

Dog...

You ain't crazy pard. I've thought about this same thing for 5+ years now....

Spend the time hunting and killing and with the kiddos ..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.