A lot depends too on whats available as to "opportunities". For example, I live up in SL Valley, so I have to drive from 15 (closest) to 25 miles (furthest) to an outdoor rifle range. Only the furthest one in which I can set up a chronograph. There is a close underground rifle range...$20 for a short hour! I have to drive 50 miles to a place to shoot out in the desert. I have to drive 100 miles one way to get into coyotes or mule deer/elk. And I'm not getting into the mule deer/elk if I draw out on a limited set of tags/dates. I did break down and book a cow elk hunt for next winter, but its been 17yrs since my last elk hunt! Colorado, WY, Montana, Idaho all have high dollar Non Resident licenses, though WY is still a great place for me to go shoot prairie dogs, but all the boys are grown now. When I lived in Texas I belonged to a hunting club which was about an hours drive away. I could shoot varmints/snakes, etc during the summer, had a long deer season with several tags...but no elk/mule deer, ha. Had to drive 35 miles to a decent gun range even down there as Texas is mostly private land. So, there is no free lunch. Make hay while the sun shines....:)

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/09/19.