geedubya -

Nice rifles, as always!

It is unfortunate that the "Ignore" feature fails when those ignored are quoted.

If external ballistics were the only thing that determines the "performance" of a cartridge, then the .270 Win cannot keep up with the .270 WSM. But how do you measure "performance"? Turns out there is more than one way.

The choice of a .270 Winchester for Daughter #1 was based on multiple criteria and external ballistics was only one factor. Since she doesn't handload, factory ammo cost, variety and availability were all factors and the .270 Winchester wins in all three cases. Midwayusa lists 45 types of .270 Winchester ammo as available but only 10 for the .270 WSM. Ammo for the .270 Winchester starts at $14.99 vs $32.99 for the .270 WSM. Big win for the .270 Winchester.

Although she practices out to 600 yards, her range time is limited and her comfort range is 400 yards. One of my goals was a cartridge that would retain 2000fps and 1500fpe at 600 yards. The .270 Winchester/2912fps ABLR handload she shoots maintains 2000fps past 800 yards and 1500fpe past 700 yards at 7000 feet, where we do most of our hunting. Winchester has a 150g ABLR load listed at 2900fps, which should perform the same. Moreover, it does it with about 22% less recoil than the .270WSM Winchester 150g factory load that is rated at 3120fps. Daughter #1 is rather petite and, although she has shot magnums of various flavors (she killed her mulie buck last year with a .300WSM), she is not fan of unnecessary recoil. On the basis that there is little advantage to exceeding the desired specification, especially if doing so entails negative factors, this is a significant win for the .270 Winchester.

I've never cared much about cartridge "efficiency", but as long as I'm handloading for my daughter, I prefer to use as little of my powder as possible and the 150g ABLR load uses only 52.0g (H100V). Full power WSM loads require 59-69g of powder. I suppose I could download a WSM but then any advantage in external ballistics would vanish. A minor thing, but still another win for the .270 Winchester.

Since I'm reloading for my daughter, brass cost makes a difference. Winchester 270 WSM brass commands a $11 premium over .270 Winchester brass at Cabelas and Hornady .270WSM has a $20 premium. Never mind that .270 Winchester brass is available just about everywhere reloading components are sold while .270 WSM brass is much less likely to be on the shelf. Yet another win for the .270 Winchester.

For doing the things Daughter #1 and I want her rifle to do, the .270 Winchester was an easy pick - it was the .270 WSM that couldn't keep up.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.