For a number of years the load I shot pretty much exclusively out of the .308 I used, was a 175 grain SMK. It duplicated 118LR which I was quite familiar with. When it came to making wind calls in the field, this paid off time and again.

If you go online the internet will tell you that SMKs are terrible hunting bullets and blah blah. That said, in dozens of animals hit, never did one need a second round, and they never went far, if anywhere more than about the usual 4 or 5 stagger steps, followed by the tumble.

Finn Aagaard, though he has been gone 19 years now, never said it better. Shot placement is 90% of killing power. When you are precise in your placement, everything else usually falls right in line.

I still shoot them a lot in my big .308, when I shoot it.

Example:

A bunch of cows were bunched up in a group at a distance where stalking closer across the wide open was not going to happen, and it was obvious they were going to run when they took off. I was not going to shoot when that happened. One cow stuck her neck and head out away from the group and received a 175 grain SMK as a result.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The point is for "some", certain cartridges and projectiles probably are garbage for them.

For guys like Montana Marine, Rost 495, BSA and a whole list of guys on here who are solid shooters, and shoot most of the year round, it is not really that hard.

For guys who just read a chart, make assumptions with absolutely zero field experience on the particular subject matter to back up their BS, you get the postings of DLA.

And then of course, we get to reaffirm what we already knew, each time he posts, as he removes any doubt whatsoever.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com