I grew up reading this story and many others by Keith, much on handgun shooting/hunting also by Bob Milek and Skeeter.....Hal Swiggett...

Fascinated with those writings, I got heavy into the shooting the 357, 41 and 44 as well as many chamberings in Contenders.

As to a bullet going thru a deer, I punched a deer with a 1,050 mv load, 240 SWC, punched thru like hot butter, they would sail thru a 10' willow tree near a local river, and hit the river with more punch than you'd want to receive. Momentum matters wink

Last couple of 44s I owned were a pair of 629 with 4" barrels. Friend set up milk jugs for his rifle at 100 and 150 yds, I asked if I could try a few. I busted on on shot #3, and IIRC, the one at 150 yds on the first shot. He called the next week and asked, what barrel length is your 44, 6 inch? I said no, 4. He replied, you better put up your rifles, you are doing better than many. Lol. That was 200 gr Nosler JHP over either H110 or W296, 4 grains under max. The milk jugs exploded, water filled.

My first shot EVER with a TC Contender, was a guy who was a TC nut, and older gent who was a Chemical Engineer. Contenders was about all he shot, mostly 30-30 and 30 Herrett. I did see him break out a S&W model 46 once, similar to the model 41. He offered me to try his Super 14 30-30 on a pepsi can at the backstop, about 115-130 yds at the local range when I was in college. He grinned when he handed it to me, as I was going to make a go OFFHAND. Having been on the Karate team, I knew it as all about the discipline - Sight pic, and squeeze, but ONLY when the sights were on and I could follow thru. It wore a 2x Leupold.....I held a LONG time, steadied my shakes, finally broke the shot, and that can flew up about 15 feet in the air. I turned to hand the gun back to the owner, he was silent, grinning, and his jaw about hit the ground! smile

Point is, handguns are FAR underestimated in what they CAN Do, and WILL do, when the driver does their part. I have pulled off some shots that a few witnesses were just dumbfounded, of course that goes with rifles as well. Ironically, I was never a great wingshot. Opposite of my Dad. If you spend the time and burn plenty powder, you can become quite proficient at connecting lead with said target.

Those writers and many others, inspired countless hunters and shooters, and we are grateful for their R&D and sharing their knowledge.

Thanks JB and others who have devoted their lives to educating fellow sportsmen and women.

Last edited by 65BR; 02/25/20.