Originally Posted by mirage243
I'm not saying he didn't hit it, I'm just saying he stretched the truth a little when he claimed the bullet blew a hole all the way through it. Ain't much ooomph left at 600 yards out of a pistol. Couple hundred pounds of energy left, tops.

...really....before you posted this did you bother to run the numbers on a ballistic calculator.....do so and you may find that when using a .44 Magnum with a BC of .20 at 1400 fps with a 240 grain bullet the velocity at 600 yards is 817 fps with 356 foot pounds of energy....basically like getting shot with a .44 Special at 25 yards...do you not think that a .44 Special with a hadcast bullet won't sail right through a deer at 25 yards.

EK...got to meet the man one time. In May 1977 he was the guest of honor at at big gig in Dallas that I got to go to. When my wife and I got there the place was full and here was this little old guy wandering around by himself with everyone so in awe of him no one was talking to him... My wife and I approached him and had him for 20 minutes all by ourselves and the crowd slowly gathered around...he then was called to do his presentation... He impressed me as being a very humble person.

Some people believe he "embellished" his stories...I don't think he knew how. He simply told the story of what happened and what he wrote was so over the top to many people who have no clue what is possible, that its sounds like embellishment...

Have read most of what Keith wrote. I have two books that he signed that night, one of which now resides back in Idaho with Mackay Sagebrush. If you read everything one will understand Keith was NOT a handgun hunter, especially big game. Rifles were where it was at for him. Every story I can remember reading about him killing something with a handgun is because it was always with him and he was a NOT hunting at the time. Even shooting the caribou with the first pair of .41 Magnum Model 57s...he was just killing some meat for the locals. Rifle was buried in the plane or strapped to the skids if it was even with them.

Long range shooting...have been doing it since the 1970s but the trip out to shoot with Mackay and Idaho Shooter in 2014 allowed me to shoot out to 780 yards and if I can hit a 3x3' target at that distance then Elmer could do it at 600 as he had FAR more practice than I... The day before that presentation in Dallas, he had been out at the Luna Road Rifle Range demonstrating I believe it was the new Seville single action revolvers...by rolling empty gallon paint cans at 200 yards...in front of lots of witnesses.

He was no god nor would he have ever been wanted to be thought of as one. He often wondered why others had a hard time doing what he did with a gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....