Originally Posted by mirage243
I've heard all my life about bullets just bouncing off of deer, bullets blowing up on a shoulder, etc, etc. I don't believe a word of it. I realize todays bullets are better than yesterday, but I've personally shot old Remington core lokts right through 1/2 mild steel plate at an angle, out of a 308. So, when people tell me about bullets bouncing off deer, I tell them to blow that smoke up somebody else's asz.

Are you deliberately trying to be asz?

The early Nosler Balistic Tips were not very sturdy. I saw my friend shoot a WT buck running diagonally away from him. The bullet hit the onside hip and went in about three inches causing a crater about 4-5 inches in diameter. While the deer was knocked down, he required followup shots to kill him. My brother reported about the same, peered over the steep coulee bank and a MD doe was standing below. He shot her between the shoulder blades. Again about a crater like my friends, but due to the location, either there was enough shock to the spine or it was broken. A follow up was required to kill her.

We didn't use the 165 30 caliber BT or 140 284 caliber BT again. This is sacrilege to many here, but I am not impressed with the Nosler Partition. Not a big sample size, but my father shot the WT buck on the shoulder. The whole shoulder was jellified, but the rear of the bullet did kill the deer. Seemed like a huge waste of meat.