Hmm...I seem to recall reading that pheasants are native to China and introduced to the U.S. in the mid 1800's(?). If true, of Chinese origin, I doubt they would have been in England/France in the early 1400s. But, what do I know for sure. It was certainly before my time. Irregardless, it was a quaint story and thanks for sharing.

Now, back to the hog killin': I have never doubted any of Dan's hog adventures. However, Unless I am in an elevated stand or such, I personally would be more than reluctant to engage in mortal combat with a boar hog armed with a .22CB. No doubt, it is a lot about shot placement. My personal salute to Dan's marksmanship skills!

As to Elmer Keith: He has done MUCH more shooting in his life than probably anyone now living other than those who constantly shoot competitively. When someone such as he shoots multiple tens of thousands of rounds - if not more -, and much of it in "real life" such as at game, rocks, sticks, cans, varmints, etc., as well as proper targets, some seemingly incredible shots will be made from time to time. I remember as a boy some 50 - 55 years ago taking one shot with a Winchester M-69 .22 at a flying bird at a distance of 125 yards or so on the challenge of a friend. The bird went straight down with one shot fired. Never do that again, but I have done it. My point is that Elmer did a hell of a lot more shooting than I ever have or will and that also applies to the vast majority of those here. Given his acquired skill and maybe some good luck here and there when firing that astronomical number of shots in his lifetime, yeah I believe him.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."