Originally Posted by Kaleb
Spot why can’t you just tell the man yes? He asked a simple question about cutting the rail in 2 pieces. I think we could all assume he meant order the rail that fits his rifle. Not a blank not extra holes probably not a marlin.

Kinda like asking what time it is and someone explaining how to repair a clock if it was broke.

Because I’m not all knowing & seeing is the short answer.

IF the rail is a good fit to the front and back of the action - then it’s probably OK.
But - Not all rails are created equal, some don’t fit receivers well, and the shape of the receivers can vary from the front fit to the back fit.. which means if you cut the rail it might be slightly off. Some people wouldn’t care - I do.

IF I were the guy - I would very likely bed the bottom of the rail while it was one piece, and then cut it... that way it is much less likely to move. But I’m a smith that works on bench & precision rifles so not that many people even know you can glass bed a rail to a reciever..

Personally I hate full rails, and I replace them with two piece mounts instead of cutting them.

At the end of the day - A rail is a cheap piece of gear, but if the guy cut it and found out it wasn’t suitable I’d feel like crud.... if all is well with the fit it’s highly likely there would be no issue. Measure twice cut once smile

I’m a bit of a perfectionist - I’m still pissed that metal flex’s, and it’s hard to get less than 2 / 10,000’s variance in parts..some are ok with 1-2 thousands, I’m not.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/15/21.