I carry a 1911 but have had the revolver bug myself the last few years, though for different reasons than the OP. I have been playing with different ones but have not become confident enough yet with any full sized revolver to make any sort of a recommendation. I do believe I'd avoid any .44 Mag or bigger though, just because it isn't needed for self defense and the guns they come in are generally pretty big. One of the oddball .45 ACP revolvers or such have grabbed my attention, though sticking with standard .357 Mag probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Bbl length I suspect is optimal at around 4", maybe a bit longer.

I normally advocate carrying what you'd would want to have if it is needed, and then figure out how to conceal it. When in summer though, dressed like the slut that I am I have lately been packing a Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P in my front pocket with a speed loader in the other. It is more accurate than a sub 2" bbl should be but still just doesn't feel "right" for self defense.