Originally Posted by 45_100
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 45_100
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.

The original Colt Lightning was double action. Why is yours only single action?

You are correct. From what I understand the Colt Lightning was somewhat fragile and tended to break. Hard to find one in good working condition and they are highly prized if found. Cimarron has used this as a marketing gimmick and advertises the single action Lightning as " the gun Colt should have made". This gun has the firing pin in the frame but I don't think it has a hammer block so I carry five rounds. They also make the Thunderer which is a full size SA revolver with the Colt style firing pin on the hammer. I think it is all about marketing.
Good question and very observent.
I've owned at least two original Colt Lightnings. They are indeed very prone to breakage. The new ones are based on completely different guns. The Thunderer is a Colt SAA clone with a birdshead grip whereas the old Thunderer was simply the old Lightening in 41 Colt instead of 38 Colt, a much smaller gun and double action as opposed to single action, as you cite. The new Lightening type guns are "Scout" size SAA's like a Colt Frontier Scout .22 and much smaller than the SAA based new Thunderer. They are still just single actions and not a double action mechanism, but are much more petite than a full SAA. Evidently Uberti thought they were robust enough for 38 Spec.'s but I doubt they should be shot with anything approaching a +P load in that caliber. I was thinking that at one time, they were available in 32 H&R Mag. also and of course, they're available in 22 RF.