Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Switch
I totally agree. I carry a S&W 442 with a notch for a sight and a 2" barrel. I agree that a longer sight radius and adjustable sights are great for target shooting, but most self defense shooting are 7 to 10 feet , maybe 20 feet at the extreme. You don't net perfect sights or a long sight radius for that type of shooting. If you shoot someone with your adjustable sights and long barrel across the parking lot you are most likely to face charges, as the is no imitate threat. At the ranges mentioned 5 shots is plenty 1 or 2 does the job to disable the threat. My plan at home is to made enough noise with the hand gun until I can get to my shotgun. A hand gun is useless to the average guy that doesn't practice A LOT. my self include.

So if someone across the parking lot is shooting at you, they aren't a threat?
You know one or two shots will do the work?
Always have that shotgun handy, huh?

I'm reminded of the elderly gentlemen who lived in a trailer park who saw a fellow trailer park resident involved in a gun fight with a cop, and took his (I believe) six inch Colt Python and took the bad guy out with one shot from fairly far away, like 30 yards or more. Any one remember that?

Was he carrying the Colt Python with a 6" barrel concealed? Doubt it. If I had to go out of my home to help a police officer in the situation you described I would have grabbed my shotgun witch is right by the outside door loaded with #3 buck, probably as handy as getting the Colt out of the place he stored it .Killed coyotes out to 65 yards out my back door. I'm more inclined to carry a small gun rather than a big revolver witch is left at home because it is hard to conceal. In the summer I usually wear a tee shirt and conealment is impossible.Try pulling a 6" python from an inside the pant holster. BTY I think 5 would do the job for sure! To each his own!

Last edited by Switch; 04/03/21.