Originally Posted by RickyD

So you believe Jesus was telling those with a relationship with Him to eat His flesh and drink His blood, and you're not a Catholic of the Roman variety?

Correct. Never been a Romanist; my tradition actually names the Pope as a force of anti-Christ. We also explicitly reject the doctrine of transubstantiation.

Genuine question... if Jesus said something in Scripture are we who are in a saving relationship with Him bound to believe He meant it?

Another genuine question for all Christians; is the physical world the only “reality” there is? Can, in the instance of our Lord’s Supper, one believe that there is, mysteriously, a REAL presence as He said, while rejecting transubstantiation?

The real evidence of His love was displayed on the cross. How religious was that? Goodness man!

Religion is defined as: a particular system of faith and worship so yeah, given that I believe that He truly offered Himself on the cross, was in the ground for 3 days, and that God resurrected Him from the dead, I’d say that’s religious in its nature.

Unless we’re using a different definition of the word “religion”?

What has gotten into you these days?

Nothing new... I have always believed in the words of our Lord recorded in Scripture:

John 6: 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.

And in His supper:

Mt 26: 26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” 27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the[c] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

And then just to reenforce the point the Apostle Paul says:

1 Cor 11: 23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for[f] you. Do this in remembrance of me.”[g] 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

I tend to believe that all of these passages are absolutely true and that, in His lovingkindness, Christ left this as a gift for His people.

Do you disagree?

I’m genuinely interested in anyone’s answers to the questions above. They have lead me to my thoughts on the supper.