Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Willto ....and others,

You have a sincere question and are seeking an answer that more should perhaps ask.
What about the Lord's supper or the Eucharist as some call it?

When He shared the loaf of unleavened bread with His disciples, was he being literal or not?

I come from a Roman Catholic background and have heard a lot of criticism towards those they call "fundamentalists" for interpreting the Bible literally.
However, the Catholic Churches official positions are that of taking the passages you cited as completely literal. This is one of their primary dogmas.
According to them, IF you do not believe that their priests call Christ down into the wafer and wine literally in a "hidden form":
They teach that you are damned with what they call a mortal sin.

What does the Bible teach about this?

"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.".
I Corinthians 11

When Jesus taught this recorded in the gospels, I ask, was He holding the bread and telling them, This bread is REALLY ME, not the man before you?
He knew He was about to be crucified in that bloody torture. Was He telling them, THAT BLOOD is NOT really what I mean, its the REAL blood that I am holding in this cup. I know it kind of looks and tastes like grape juice, but it's just a mystical form that you can not sense.

The Catholic priests might say that, but Jesus, the true High Priest, never did.

Go back and read and put yourself in the shoes of the disciples. Notice that as often as they share the unleavened bread and juice, they were to do it in
" remembrance of me ".

1. This was what we would call today a memorial.
The bread represented the broken body of Jesus
The wine/ juice represented the shed blood.
Jesus offered it as a type or picture of the reality, Not the other way around. Today we would hold a photograph or cell phone and say, "This is my family...etc". The picture is not the literal family members, but we don't take the obvious and misunderstand what is said. Jesus' choice of a picture was something that would continue to exist throughout the ages, not dependent on technology.

2. The priests desecrate the real sacrifice that was offered by their often resacraficing of what THEY call Christ's offering 2,000 years ago. See Hebrews 10 now.

"10
By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;...
For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified....
Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin."

Nothing can be added to or taken away from Christ's all sufficient sacrifice. It was once and paid for ALL sins past, present and future. The priest offer masses that can never take away sins.

Lastly, the Lord was NOT breaking His own laws by instituting canibolism and the drinking of literal blood.
Jesus was the only acceptable Sacrifice as He NEVER sinned. We do, which is why we are damned to hell.
"Our righteousness are as filthy rags." Think if how much you can buy with a dirty diaper.
Can our/your own good deeds add to what Jesus did?
No, a whole pile of diapers can't pay for even one lie.
It's not a matter of giving up sins, or sacrificing our lives as martyrs that amounts to anything.

Revelation 21:8
"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."

This is why He suffered and died.
He loves you/ us so much he endured the torture for every man and woman's sins. Then He died in our place to purchase the free gift of Everlasting Life that He now offers.

John 3:16,17,18
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. "

Everyone reading this is already condemned.
We've all lied and done far worse than that. The object of our faith has been_____________(trying to keep the golden rule, treat others with kindness, baptism, giving up habits, etc.)
All of those things keep you condemned.
God requires us to quit trusting those things in the blanks and transfer your trust to His Son 100%.
He must be the object of your faith.

Ephesians 2:8, 9"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Grace = His kind favor
Saved from hell
Faith in His Son, not our works
Gift = He already paid for it and it cost Him His life.

When you completely trust Him and throw away the other stuff in filthy rags, then what does He promise to give you?
His gift of Everlasting Life.

When I received that gift, I said a simple prayer to Him;
Much like this.

"Dear God,

I don't deserve to go to heaven.
I deserve hell. Please save me from there forever.
Please give me that free gift of Everlasting life in heaven that Your Son paid for. I believe that He was punished for everything I ever did wrong, that He died for me and arose the third day.
I no longer trust in anything that I can do.
My trust is totally in Him now.
Thank You for your promise and the wonderful gift.

In Jesus Name,
Amen"

I hope that everyone who reads this will stop and take a moment to pray this too. God keeps His promises.

With all due respect cause I know you put a lot of effort into that but I do not see a single word in all of that which disputes the examples that I listed. According to the Bible all one must do is accept Jesus as their personal savior and ask for forgiveness to be saved. I even posted quotes to back that up. So sorry but the raping child murderer still gets a mansion in heaven for his last minute conversion.

Last edited by Willto; 03/30/21.