Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
Yes I was aiming at the head, which is where it hit. I understand if that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I wouldn't have taken the shot if I wasn't confident that I would hit it. Distance to target is irrelevant without the understanding and practice it takes to make a shot. How many deer get they're jaws blown off at 100yds? I'd say far more than there are at 900yds, for two reasons I suggest; not many people practice hunting at that range, and secondly those that do hunt in the realm of 100 yds are far more numerous a group, and that group likely includes the portion of hunters with shall we say less dedication. Thereby resulting in far more wounded/unrecovered animals.

I certainly dont mean to imply that headshots at this or any distance is unethical, that is up each individual. For every hunter, there is another hunter who disagrees with the first's practices. I only worry about what I can control.

Taking head shots on unwounded elk at 900yds is stupid.

Personally I think you went for the chest and missed. The elk was unlucky and had it's head in the way of the bullet.

I watched most of your other videos and nothing there showed a skill level necessary to reliably make first round hits on sub MOA targets at 900yds.

Feel free to hang some other evidence that would show you have in the past proven you have such skill.

I agree. The "margin of error" he speaks of at 900 yards on a head shot is nil. Really- at 900 yards in the field, can anyone place a bullet within an inch, or at most two, of intended with absolute (call it 90%) confidence on a "head shot" ?. I don't think so. Lucky shot. Really stupid if that was the intent, but still a lucky shot.

I've made a couple "lucky shots" , myself. Not stupid- just AFU...I try to avoid them.

But I don't lie about them.

Usually. Less so since I quit alcohol. smile

Below...

She spined him at 200 with '06, not where she was aiming, she said - I suspect she deliberately held high as he looked like he (small 2 yr bull) was a long ways away. And who believes a range-finder in her husband's hand? smile She hit him where the crosshairs were, but maybe not where she thought they were. Of course.

I'll take lucky ( but never count on it!) , if the wounded animal is recovered.

I finished him at 20 with .260. He wasn't going anywhere.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 09/29/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.