Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by smokepole

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law

Your statement

So you feel that taking a head shot at 900 yds is wrong but on the other hand you feel it would not warrant being against the law? I'm a bit confused

Shod

Shod, I've explained this at least once, but I'll give it another shot. So to speak.

Two things: 1) It's un-enforceable; and 2) there's no way to develop a legal standard to cover shot selection that wouldn't outlaw ethical shots by people who have the ability to make them.

Here's another way to say it, which I've already asked but you didn't answer. As far as his shot selection, what did he do that you think should be illegal, and how would you write a law to make it illegal?

Was it the fact that he made a 900-yard shot? Many here would make that illegal; some here could make a 900-yard shot.

Was it the fact that it was a head shot? Many have made those.

Was it the combination of a 900 yard shot and a head shot? Now, I agree that a 900 yard head shot was a poor choice, I think we all do. Posting a wounding shot on youtube was even worse, but like someone said, there's no law against being a dickhead.

Anyway, I can't think of a way to write a legal standard that covers that without outlawing other shots by able shooters who can make them. That would be an unintended consequence that is worse (IMHO) than allowing idiots like this to take 900-yard head shots.

The whole issue is, where do you draw the line, why do you draw it there, and who gets to decide. Like Jordan said, we don't want the general public deciding these things; lots of stuff could be outlawed like running shots.

The distance at which a shot can be made varies with the shooter, the conditions, and the animals themselves. There are too many variables to pick a distance.

But the "why do you draw the line there" is the part that I struggle with. Some will say that shooting an animal at 600 yards is using technology for an unfair advantage. But in my opinion, the same can be said about a 200 yard shot. Are we going to outlaw those? I don't think so. The difference is, many hunters can make a 200 yard shot, so it's OK by them. Most can't make a 600 yard shot, so it's not OK by them. Personally, I'm not smart enough to draw that line.

One of the things I like about hunting is, you're out there on your own, and for some things like shot selection, you are the one who makes the choice. I'd like to keep it that way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.