Since members of this august forum goaded me into the purchase of a Savage 99 in 308 WIN back in 2003, I'd have to say this rifle is my overall favorite. I always bring it out on The Opener. When I get lucky on The Opener, it's always my buck tag I'm filling. Once that is done, it goes back in the case. The load is a 165 grain Hornady SP over just enough H4895 to make it run like a hot 300 Savage.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

It had been about 10 seasons since I had nailed a buck with the Savage 99. This year, exactly 2 hours into the season, this big one walked under my stand:

More details and pics here:

The Savage Speaks Again

After the Savage gets put to bed, I start working through a rotation of rifles. Some are new projects. Some are old favorites. Eventually, it gets down to serious business, and it is about that time the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 comes out.

Honorable Mentions:

I have a KAR 98 Mauser, The Mauser From Hell, that I took from a basket case to a tack driver over several frustrating years. It lays out deer with 8X57 every bit as good as my others.

The Whelenizer, a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen was the first rifle I ever took 10 deer in 10 seasons. Folks here at the 'Fire conspired with KYHillChick to gift me this for a Saint Hubert's Day present many years ago. I am in the process of bringing it back out of retirement.

My new fav is a TC Compass in 7mm-08 I found 2 seasons ago. I like everything about this rifle and the chambering.

The whole Shamanic Deer Battery is here for your perusal:

The Shamanic Deer Battery

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer