The summer I was 15 I bought a Model 81 BLR in 308. Someone had special ordered it from Browning with no sights. They put a deposit with the dealer, Rite Way Sports in Hardwick Vermont, and never came back to pick it up. I got a great deal. I think Larry had a soft spot for a kid spending his hard earned money. I literally spent all I had and could not buy ammo. He threw in a box for free. Will never forget how well he treated me.

I have hunted with that gun every year since. It is loaded with memories and is the last thing I would ever sell. Every time I handle the gun memories of time in the woods with my now deceased father come up. A few years ago my son shot a couple of deer with it and REALLY wants it. Now we are creating new memories together. I recently bought a 358 that is identical except for having sights and am setting as close as possible to the 308. That will be my new primary rifle. I plan on giving the 308 to my son for his high school graduation present next spring.

Any decent rifle is a tool capable of doing the job, some maybe better than that BLR. None could ever mean more to me or my son and I really think that is why it will always be my favorite.

Sorry for being so sappy.