Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL
i have been handloading over 50 years now, i have killed a mess of deer with a whole lot of different calibers. our season here in SC on private land runs from Aug. 15-jan1 up until about 5 years ago there was no limit on bucks, and several does. so, in my youth i had opportunity to kill more than a plenty. and to tell you the truth there aint a nickel worth of difference from one caliber to the next in my experience, it is all about shot placement. if i had to say the best all around, it would be the 30-06,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If they're all just as good on deer why saddle yourself with 30-06 recoil?

30-06 recoil!!! 😂 memtb
I'm glad you find it so amusing. It amounts to around 20 ft lbs. A 243 is 9

Yep! No argument there! Most hunters shoot less than a half dozen cartridges during a season of big game hunting. A duck hunter may shoot a box of shells in one outing! Chances are the shotgun has greater “felt” recoil than does the typical 30-06!

Never considered most any big game cartridge to have offensive recoil!

Obviously, if the rifleman has a shoulder issue or perhaps an eye issue whereby recoil may injure or be very painful to shoot…..a different story! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024