Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by roundoak
I happen to agree with Finn Aagaard. "The true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers. 30 and 7mm."

Hmmm. I'm not calling you a heretic, but I don't recall St. Finn ever making such a comment. smile

To the contrary, he had a lot of admiration for the 270 as a general purpose big game round.

Chapter and verse please! laugh

I would have sworn that I’ve read the exact same words from St. Finn. And so it was, in his article on the 338-06 in the January 1986 edition of The American Rifleman:

Although we have a generous—perhaps superfluous—abundance of rifle cartridges, it is interesting to note that with only a few exceptions, the true general purpose big game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (The 270 Winchester is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007” undersized.

At least for a while, you can see the words here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133989148256

He’s not slagging the 270, but including it among the 7mm cartridges.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.