Originally Posted by Hawg
270 adequate for all game here in Texas less some of the private ranch exotics such as Nilgai. Fairly mild mannered, reasonably priced commercial ammo that is readily available under normal circumstances. Good enough for Jack O’Connor and we have the benefit of premium bullets.

Hawg,

Interesting to hear your opinion on the .270's adequacy on nilgai. About 20 years ago I was one of several writers invited on a nilgai (+pig) hunt on the King Ranch, along with a few other folks. The cartridge involved was not the .270 Winchester, but the new .270 WSM, and the bullet the also-new 140-grain Fail Safe.

When we we showed up the guides all expressed sincere doubts about the adequacy of anything ".270" on nilgai. Many of them believed in at least a .300 magnum, and some the .375 H&H.

By the end of the hunt 30 nilgai had been taken, a bull and cow for the each of the 15 hunters. The guides were all saying the .270 WSM was one of the greatest nilgai cartridges ever.

Now, some here may believe the .270 WSM is very different than the .270 Winchester, but I have shot plenty of animals with both--and also watched my wife kill animals up through bull moose with the .270 Winchester and plain old Nosler Partitions. I never could see any difference in the way either .270 killed (or for that matter, the .270 Weatherby) as long as a good bullet hit the right place.

In fact, the longer I hunt the less difference I see in how various rounds kill big game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck