I grew up reading the "big 3" hunting and fishing magazines, Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and Sports afield. Outdoor Life was my favorite, and Jack O'Connor was my favorite writer. So, I read all about his experiences with the 270. When the Remington 700 Classic came out, I bought one in 270. That would have been around 1978. For the next 25 years it was my whitetail rifle.

My favorite load is 60.0 grains of H4831 and a Sierra 130 grain SP. The rifle always did shoot better than I was capable of. I killed deer with it from 15 yards away, all the way out to 450. Over the years I became interested in other cartridges, especially the 6 and 6.5 mm's, which are easier on a bad shoulder, but I've also used a 7-08, 7X57, and 308. Compared to others, my experience is certainly limited, as all I've hunted are deer here in Kentucky, but I have seen more deer dropped in their tracks by the 270 than by anything else.

My rifle hasn't been used for hunting in about 10 years, as I've gotten away from wood stocks and blued metal. But, if I'm ever lucky enough to draw a Kentucky elk tag, it will me the rifle I use.