Originally Posted by sakoron
My experiences with rifle calibers was shaped with a couple things...I got started paying attention to rifles when I was given SAKO 243 as a wedding present and shot the bejesus out of it as it was expected in my family of hunters , over all of my married life starting 55 years ago. I also like several other calibers too, but using just these 2 I can go anywhere in the USA and not be undergunned IMO.

I worked for a very large sporting goods wholesaler for almost 10 years in Dallas with retailer customers in 5 states and could see & talk to a couple hundred retailers in 5-6 states. Then I repped for a gun importer for 8 years as a factory rep . I had to be very very accurate with my language and shooting performance every time I was in a crowd of industry people or green horns who did not know the butt from the barrel most time working Industry Shows or public Shooting Seminars .

Having said all that ....I've come to 2 conclusions, a quality built 270 with the average bullet has about as much range and drop at distance as a 300Wmg also in the average but heavier bullet. I've been out of the business now since the late 1980's but am not concerned using those 2 calibers for 95%+ to hunt anything I want to eat in the USA.
Today I have owned and hunted successfully in North America with these favorites ...a 22-250, 243, 25'06, 257 Rbts', 260, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, 7Rmg, 308, 30'06, 300Wmg, 338Wmg, 9.3x62 are what come to mind at the moment.
JMHO, Ron

Man, and to think, I was given china as a wedding gift!

Last edited by Simplepeddler; 09/01/22.