Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks Brad. A couple statements I found very interesting:

"The 7mm Rem mag will boost a 160 gr bullet to the same velocity and trajectory that the 270 with the 140 gr bullet, but it takes an additional 2" of barrel barrel and a lot more powder and recoil to do it. Many hunters feel that the big 7 is a vastly superior cartridge, but I must say that I have been unable to detect much difference between it and the 270 on game."

BobinNH and I had a spirited conversation on this exact statement. With Re 26, I was able to get an honest 3000 ft/sec with the Nosler Partition (3020 if memory serves me). It shot as flat as the 7RM and carried very similar energy as the 160 launched at the same speed from the 7 RM. Needless to say Bob was a 7 RM fan. Still miss his posts.

A couple more:

"The 30-06 with its heavier bullets may have an advantage over the 270 when it comes to breaking massive bone and achieving the deepest penetration on the larger beasts, but not by any great margin."

"...I would simply use the 150 gr Nosler Partition at about 2900 ft/sec. That is also my idea of the best all-around use-it-on-anything load, and is the one that I would choose if I were taking a 270 to Africa or Alaska."

I can also remember Finn stating something like he "would draw a hard line under 6.5mm as an adequate all-around big game caliber." Probably could find it, if anybody's interested. Or even if they aren't. In fact might just look it up now, since I believe it appeared in his chapter in the same book on the 6.5x55.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck