Gzig5, You can get by with a 20 lb recoil spring. The best mods for slowing the slide down is a Flat Firing pin Stop and about a 26 to 28 lb Mainspring. I run 20 recoil/28 mainspring/FFPS in my Ruger 1911. I also added a compensator, though mine is one that takes the place of a barrel bushing and does not screw onto the barrel, so it basically slows slide velocity down by mass. Ejection distance is 6 feet with comp, about 8 without. ACP loads dribble at my feet.

Thanks, Gunner. One thing I noticed putting it through its initial paces is that boy, that comp really helps with recoil. Ugly as hell, but it helps. Two other things I noticed are the lower barrel axis helps with muzzle flip and the larger Glock grip helps with recoil, all being equal with the two pistols. The Glock also seems a little less fussy about feeding certain bullet profiles, the one bullet in particular being the Missouri Bullet Company's 215 grain Express. That's the only bullet I've tried so far that chokes the 1911. The Glock feeds them slick as snake snot.