Originally Posted by krp
Anyway I skimmed over AZ, CA, IL and FL bike laws, one of them stated, I think IL, the farther out in the lane the cyclist is in an accident the more the responsibility is shared legally... Kent

Being a guy on a bicycle in the road I find questions of legal responsibility to be sort of irrelevant considering the aftermath.

Had a close call just this week. I got careless and rode a four lane road I have often ridden at night but it was rush hour afternoon. It was the shortest route, I got impatient.

Fugger in a old-style van, well over the limit, decides to pass an SUV on the inside lane, I don’t believe he saw me.

I was far fight side over by the curb, the guy’s passenger-side mirror passed just inches away from my left shoulder.

Paul’s philosophy of “claiming the lane”, ie making yerself a more conspicuous road hazard, is a widely-preached one, and prob’ly works in many instances. I do think in this case it woulda got me flattened.

That method presumes the driver will see you, I generally assume they won’t.

The last close call of that magnitude was three years and a coupla thousand miles ago; a semi truck in the rain in Montana.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744