Originally Posted by HawkI
The bicycle folks just need to get the Feds involved and elevate this level of brilliance to the interstate system. That would be amazing....

Riding a bicycle on the shoulder of an Interstate is legal in some Western States. In Montana 2019 I rode Interstate 15 from Great Falls to a town called Boulder MT and parts of two other Interstates from Billings to the Little Bighorn.

Taken as a whole, Montana backroads have so little shoulder and their interstates are lightly travelled enough that the shoulder of an interstate was about the safest place to ride.

It was on the shoulder of I15 that I almost got taken out by a semi though. I had stopped to take a photo right after a rainstorm, closer to the white line than I could have been. There was no traffic. Then a tractor trailer going downhill blitzed by so close I got pulled by the slipstream.

Dunno if it was on purpose or not, ride a highway with rumble strips and it becomes apparent quite a few people are making closer passes than they need to.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744