After about an hour perhaps and a mile traveled on foot on crunchy snow into the back of Wrigley land, being as quiet and deliberate as possible, we hadn’t seen the herd. Rost495 split off from SD and I so as to try to get eyes on a larger section of land at the same time. As SD and I were on the binocs methodically scanning ahead and looking for fresh sign, we heard a single shot. No follow ups came. SD and I looked at each other and slowly shook our heads. Someone had come in from where we’d started our morning and left one of the trucks, and had killed their bull. Sometimes you get the bull, other times someone else gets their bull instead. Damn.

A little dejected but not overly so, the three of us reconnected and pulled out of there to grab the other truck. As we did, we saw a pair of successful hunters working on the bull they had down. It was less than a third of a mile from our original position at first light. At least our thinking was correct as far as where they would be. Now to figure out another plan.

We spent the rest of the day searching high and low for other herds. VernAk was still on the case, as was Rost495. We all split up, figuring it best to have at least three teams afield looking in different areas for herds to one mob checking over the same spots over and over.