Originally Posted by BC30cal
kamo gari;
Good evening once more my friend, thanks for the chuckle with, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story".

I want to say it was the late John Wooters who long ago opined that "if someone tells you everything they shoot drops dead, they've either not shot very many things or it didn't happen that way".

That said then, added to the fact that I've royally buggered a few shots on game in the past half century myself, sometimes turning out much worse than your bison, you shall not be receiving flames from my section of this side of the medicine line tonight.

It was a grand hunting tale, well told sir.

Best to you both Leighton.

Dwayne

Leighton, allow me to echo the good Mr. BC30cal's sentiments. It was a grand hunting tale, and well told. (It was even better reading, having heard the oral version from you over the phone last week!) The photos you've posted are excellent, as usual. Thanks for that. It makes the tale all the more sweet. Having lived and hunted in the snowy northern Alberta areas of Swan Hills and Peace River country, I expected the landscapes and vegetation in the Delta region to look as it did. But it sure makes it more immediate to see it in actual pixels.

I had the privilege of collecting a WY bison heifer about 10 years ago, in the company of Jorge and EvilTwin... until that particular adventure, I had no inkling of the amount of work involved in skinning and cutting up a bison. Big respect to your comrades for all the work they put in to get that critter cut up and packaged! BTW, enjoy that liver! Bison liver is amazingly good eating, so good that I would happily help somebody collect a Big Shaggy if they would let me have the liver...

As for the errant bullet, dinna fash. Given the fact that it was dead on minute-of-coffee-cup 2 days before, you have to wonder if some evil kami possessed the thing... maybe the scope buggered up for no good reason, maybe your bullet struck an unseen twig between you and the bison, or maybe you just twitched wrong. Doesn't matter. The beast died clean, that's all that signifies.Like Dwayne, I've been in on the end of a goodly number of critters in my nearly 70 years, and I will confirm that the only hunters who will condemn another hunter for an errant bullet are 1) azzholes and 2) inexperienced in the vagaries of hunting and killing, and 3) azzholes.

Thanks for sharing the good story and great pics. Enjoy that delicious meat.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars