Originally Posted by ribka
Takes a real hunter to admit that everything did not go as planned.
Curious if scope somehow knocked off

Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well done. What rifle/caliber did u use? I see you were using TSXs?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Uh page 1 somewhere in the middle https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...17764086/re-to-kill-a-bison#Post17764086
700 PacNor #5, 20", super match grade ss barrel. Barreled by John Ricks. Paradox walnut stock by me, cast on 5/16 at heel, 1/4 at toe.

Several members here have used it for Kodiak bears, moose, caribou, bison, and other stuff. Remarkable accuracy with almost everything, but especially the 270gr TSX. A number of people have shot their best personal groups with it. The cast makes it gentle in recoil.

OK, fine. Obviously, I'm being prodded here by someone who's just dying for me to tell the 'rest of the story'. I can do that, and I'll sleep just fine tonight, despite all kinds of BS talkin' about, 'don't worry, your secret is safe with us!' Whatever. After I have a good cry because Deflave hurt my feelers earlier and all, I think I just might survive...

So, no one asked about the apparent lack of a entrance, or exit hole in my bison's thoracic region in the pics. Anyone wonder why? Well, I'll tell you. It's because I hit that bison not less than two FEET left and SIX inches high from where I intended for it to impact. I've no explanation for it and offer no excuse. I was calm, held my breath on a half exhale, had dry-fired that rifle (with a ~20 oz of trigger pull weight) at least 200 times before my one practice shot with it. If anyone is looking for an explanation, ask Heyzoos. I can't explain it, nor excuse it. It happened. And yeah, I understand exactly just how badly things could have gone with a shot so far off from where it was intended to go. I'm no hard-core rifleman, and have flubbed a couple of shots before. I don't know any serious, experienced hunters who haven't missed or blown a shot, but that's neither here nor there. I could not have possibly f*&ucked up that shot any worse that what I obviously did. It happens sometimes, despite the hunter's best intentions. Is it the shortcoming of the shooter? In all likelihood, yes.

I consider myself fortunate that I've yet to lose an animal due to a bad shot. Have I had to shoot a critter more than once due to a poor initial shot? Yep, I have, unfortunately. And while I'm not proud of it, I understand that I'm not perfect and as long as I continue to hunt as much as I do, chances are good not every shot I take will be a good one. I'll own that. I've always done everything in my power and ability to make sure the likelihood of it not happening are good, well, shyt happens sometimes...

At several points in our breaking down the animal with blades, the lads both spent some time asking me where I was aiming, and looking puzzled at not finding at least one hole. Well, that's because the 270 grain TSX bullet I shot at him hit him just behind the skull, where it blew apart his spine just ahead of the atlas bone. I essentially severed his head from his spine, explaining why he dropped like he'd been poleaxed when I blasted him.

When we were examining the shattered vertebra and we all understood that despite my shot being wildly errant beyond any reasonable standards, it still smashed that bull down like the hand of God himself. SD soon after came out with a line I'll take with me to the grave. I may never be sure his intent, but somehow it made me feel a little better. Here's what he said, with a deadpan expression:

"My friend, all I've got is, that was very possibly the very, very best, WORST shot I've ever seen in my life!"

The three of us laughed until we almost vomited. Then I did. But then, I drink.

Gimme' a sec while I don this here vintage asbestos suit, and flame on. I'm a lot of things, but a couple of things I'm not is a liar, or a bullshytter. 'And dat's da name ah dat tune...'

And with that, your honor, I'll have to insist that the prosecution share the evidence with the defense. Come on; it's only fair, SD. Download that f'in video and send it to me. I KNOW I saw that bull turn/spin slightly to the left just as I shot... I want to see that video.

As a possibly interesting aside, this big city born and bred kid killed his first big game animal 20 years ago, almost to the month, in Alaska. A black bear, it was. It started my passion for big game hunting and traveling near and far to chase my passion. With two decades now past, I can only opine that the world would be a far better place if there were more hunters. Thanks, Wiley. Pity you choose not to chime in.

KG

Well It was a vortex scope.....

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.