Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Just got this today from AKDFG. Also, a little bird told me three hunters whacked the wrong sex bison during this season. That must've stung in a few different ways and no doubt can't have been a nice feeling. I feel badly for those who hit a tag but were unable to work within the new parameters. I'd have been livid to have hit a tag as a NR but had something else I needed to deal with for the dates given and not been able to do the hunt. I guess lady luck always has her say in some things in life...

Hello,

We just wanted to update everyone to let you know that the bison hunt for this year is now closed for the season.

All groups met their quotas therefore we will not be offering a spring hunt. Again we sincerely regret having to make so many drastic changes to this years hunt, we understand that it was not ideal for all of you hunters. We are hopeful that the next few winters will be mild and that the bison population will rebound so we can provide additional hunting opportunities going forward. We will be offering a reduced number of permits again next year. And just a reminder that because you have drawn a permit this year, residents are required to wait 10 years before applying for another bison permit, and non-residents may not re-apply. Again, we understand that this may seem unfair due to all the changes.

If you have not yet filed your report please do so. You may file by mail, online, or call us at the Delta office (907-895-4484).

Thank you to all of you who have been so patient and understanding this year.

Sincerely,

Delta Area ADF&G Staff

To the AK guy who hit TWO DJ bison permits, you're one lucky SOB!

wink
If 3 turned themselves in (or got caught) I bet there were others. With a total quota of 60, and at least 5% making a bad mistake, and 50% not killing a bison... a lot of folks probably regret drawing the tag.

If the cow shooters turn themselves in, the magistrate is usually lenient but their tag is gone. On the bright side, three local families on the Road Kill List were able to get a complete bison carcass from the Wildlife Trooper.
There was also one case of Wanton Waste where the only the head and loins were taken.....a serious charge.
I did not realize they use the Road Kill list to distribute mistakes... very good use.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.