I've hunted Idaho every year since 1982. The changes Ive seen in SE, SW, and Central Idaho hunting country is amazing. Areas where Ive killed 30" bucks now have camp trailers parked weeks ahead of the season to reserve camping spots. The growth in population has also increased people who want to hunt. Garbage strewn along the roads and in campsites make me sick. This type of activity is from both locals and out of staters. The lack of respect for Mother Nature and hunting ethics makes no sense to me. I realize I sound like the "keep off my grass" old man, but really, these changes just break my heart.

Ive got 20 or 21 points for mule deer in Nevada, and have had to buy a license each year to apply. I had 18 points in Utah when I finally got drawn for a muzzleloader mule deer tag. Out of state hunting for a premium tag is extremely time consuming and costly, before you even get drawn!

I've worked hard to stay in shape to still get in the country I need to get to for mule deer. I'm fortunate to live in elk country, and have good numbers of them on my property and adjoining National Forest.

Bottom line, more people hunting the same land and the same animals is a supply and demand issue. Idaho just raised their out of state fees, but as can be seen, they still immediately sell out.

That said, some of the best times of my life were spent living in a canvas tent, around a campfire and a whisky, hunting the mountains of Idaho. Hard to put a cost value on those memories.

Regards,
Manny