Originally Posted by saddlesore
To be clear. I don't hate Non residents. In the the past many years I have taken quite a few, introduced them to elk hunting and have gotten them elk. Taught them how to pack elk and care for their mount . A few from this forum even. I have supplied them with with mules to ride, mules to pack out their elk, tents, camp gear at no charge, nor did I expect any. My cost in keeping each mule alone for a year totals more than any nonresident elk license cost. I pay about $1000 a year for hay and grain alone for each mule. That doesn't count the riding saddles, pack saddles, pads, britching, breast collars,bridles, hobbles, high lines, shoeing, truck and trailer big enough to haul everything.

Yet every year I have nonresident hunters, complete strangers, that didn't think about how to get their elk out, come and knock on my tent pole or camper asking me to pack out their elk out. They think I should do it for nothing..Never mind that it will take a day out my hunting. If they offer me money and I tell them I am not a licensed outfitter and the fine for doing so is huge to me.They don't believe me and go away mad, cussing out the resident. The going rate now is about $600 per elk.

Colorado treats their residents worse than any other western states in terms of elk quotas for residents vs nonresidents. Right now, IMO Colorado is over carrying capacity with hunters,. The elk herds a cannot sustain the unlimited OTC tags that are being sold, and a lot of the draw tags. Even archery seasons are over hunted just because of the hunting pressure. We are seeing success rates dwindling, but CPW will not give up their cash cows. More and more money comes in,but goes to salaries and parks and less to wildlife management.

Don't worry saddlesore the wolves you got will thin the elk and nrs out, then maybe they can take out some of the granolas too..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "