Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Calvin
In a few months taking my 10 y/o daughter brown bear hunting. She has first poke with dad backing her up. The logistics of dealing with a bear, most likely in the dark with a 10 y/o with lots of other bears around is stressing me out a little. Will have 44 mag on me when skinning. The thought of things going sideways is definitely on my mind.

Probably will bring her back to the boat and deal with the skinning solo.

Good times.

Do it Calvin! My son killed his first one at age 10 and used his 9.3x62 with 250gr Accubonds at 2150, basically a replication of the .35 Winchester. Low recoil and plenty of killing power. We had his boar at 40 yards for over ten minutes waiting for it to turn broadside. I was really watching him for nervousness, thinking things might go downhill given how long we were waiting for it to turn. At one point he whispered "Dad, do you want me to just rake him?" and I knew he was doing just fine with not losing his mind. He shot it perfectly, including twice on the run after the first shot. I gave it one round, in retrospect mostly because that was the wife-approved thing to do.

I think your concerns about other bears causing a problem while you're skinning are an issue in the fall, but not so much in the spring. Having skinned a decent number of bears at both times of the year, I've had to fend off various ones in the fall, but never in the spring. What gun is she using? I think a .308 and a good 150gr bullet would be plenty to let the air out of one, as she's not looking to stop a bear, just kill one.

[Linked Image]

Not really sure yet on gun yet. She has her 6.5 127 lrx but might go a little heavier with milder load 7saum/160AB. Haven't decided yet. Good to know about fall versus spring. Going to the S end of Kootznoowoo. Not really looking forward to messing with a bunch of guides but will stand my ground with them.

Fantastic job on the bear btw. I think my daughter is 80lbs soaking wet, so a bigger rifle probably wouldn't go so well.