Originally Posted by Big Stick
There was a "problem" Bear(Late Fall and the fhuqker was simply hungry on the way to den) on a porch,a few blocks away. After the dust settled,there had been (17) Smoothbore rounds fired,all of which were slugs or buckshot. Hint.

Scatterguns and their fodder are Feel Good Notions,for DUMB Fhuqkers that don't shoot and/or deal with Bears. This schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Serious question Stick----how many of those 17 shots were hits in something somewhat vital, and were they a quality slug or buckshot?

I'm not a shotgun junkie for bear protection but do carry one at work on the 'Slope and sometimes when fishing in griz country, but with Foster or Brennkee slugs only, either normally of Brennkee manufacture. I must admit though, I do feel a bit better when I have my .375 H&H slung instead of the shotgun.

Every law enforcement or research agency that I know about in Alaska and the western US issue shotguns for bear defense, though it sounds like SE AK Forest Service may have some rifles, which is awesome...I can't imagine cost doesn't have some sort of a bearing on that, but there has to be some sort of other benefit to shotguns...ease of use for normal people, reliability in the function, something. It may or may not be effectiveness.

I've dealt with a number of problem brown/griz but have never actually shot or killed one in those situations. I must say that 'warning' shots a foot from their nose at 50 yards hasn't done a damn thing...