Absolutely no bear expurt here! In my 50 plus years all over the US and Canada hunting I've only once, thankfully, had a very, very, close black bear encounter! And that was up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan on a moose hunt. A lot of things worked in my favor that day allowing me to to walk away from a very bad situation. And when people say it happens fast, it doesn't, it happens even faster than fast! Like I said, a lot of things worked out in my favor and not the bears favor. I'm also fully aware that you have no idea how you'll react or what you'll do until it happens. No idea at all, I don't care what you think or say. On that day, it worked out for me, on another day, it might work out for the bear! This happened years ago and is still very "sharp" in my mind. If I hadn't been facing the direction I was facing, or wasn't at the ready like I was because my guide kept telling me to be ready that it was a big bull moose we were closing in on, who knows what the outcome could have been. As a side note, after the dust settled from the bear incident, we saw the bull moose, across a lake, and he was indeed a shooter, but I never got close enough for a shot at him.

I've bear hunted more than once, mostly bowhunting up in Northern Minnesota. The incident above is absolutely nothing like bear hunting!

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 03/02/23. Reason: Add info...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member