I'm a retired electrician, I did a lot of work at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago and also the Brookfield Zoo. Every animal house has a Homak gun safe in it with what they deem the appropriate threat response firearm, but only the head zoo keeper in each house has the keys to said safe. In the Polar Bear house there's a 375H&H, in the hooved animal house (very large exotic buffalo) there's an 870 12 gauge slug gun. I was there long enough to get to know the head zoo keepers in each house. They were required to "qualify" with each firearm but in talking to them, none of them knew where to shoot the animal to stop it. I also happened to be a range officer at the range where they qualify. All I'll say is the safest place to be when they shoot is in front of them! I can't I imagine them touching off a 373H&H in that densely populated area.

Interestingly, in the Polar Bear house, there's a taped off section on the floor surrounding the door they open to feed the bear in bright yellow tape. I asked the significance of the tape as it was about 10 feet away from the door on the 3 sides. I was told that's how far they can reach! I'm sure a little extra was added for more safety, but it impressed me and thankfully, I didn't have a lot of work in that area of the house.

Just some facts I found interesting for methods in a very populated area.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member