Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by pete53
" ... matter fact 3 of us had the same type rifle all 700 Remingtons none worked that mourning up in the mountains. ... "Pete53

Pete 53, how about filling us in as to how three Remington 700s did not work up in the mountains. Just wondering.

Thanks.

L.W.

we were in the mountains N.W. corner of Yellowstone park area where its legal to hunt ,we were 10 miles up on mules snowing and raining was cold and windy 6 - 8 inches snow on ground 10-20 degrees , 9,000 ft up, we all had our leather scabbards top open, Remington 700`s were loaded safeties on lots of grizzly sign we were hunting elk. a momma grizzly came out with her 2 almost adult cubs around 60 feet away from me i was leading us up .momma grizzly took a look at me i drew my rifle . with some luck she ran away with her cubs when i yelled at her ,thinking my rifle was going to work ,after bear left i then check my rifle and found firing pin was froze up and so were the other 2 Remington 700`s was not a good situation that far from camp. next day we went back up on our mules same area same weather condition i chose to use my 338 Winchester model 70 per 64 ,the other 2 friends used their unthrawed Remington 700`s but there rifles froze up again , but my 338 Winchester 70 did not . after that day they put plastic bags on their 700`s so they did not freeze up on the ride up but i never had too with my Winchester model 70. so now if i hunt in cold nasty weather i either use my Ruger #1`s or Winchester model 70`s never again with a Remington 700 nor will my friends anymore. i have no problem for hunting in easy good weather for people to use a 700 but out in elements camp with a tent in cold weather i would never trust a Remington again that`s why i won`t use a 700 , my family we use Rugers ,Winchesters ,Weatherby mark5`s and Mausers.

That sounds more like a maintenance issue than a Rem 700 issue. I am guessing that Win 70 didn't have as much oil or whatever used on the pin mechanism, or a better low temp oil was used, as opposed to the Remingtons. I've had a number of Ruger, Ithaca, Winchester, Marlin and Remington trigger/firing pin systems freeze up over the years. Once with a very lively and mean spirited wolverine in a foothold. I completely degrease actions now and use a dry graphite lubricant have haven't had an issue down to -40F and that includes on a couple of different Rem 700s.

Not to get into a different argument, but carrying hot is dumb enough, let alone when the rifle is in a scabbard, bouncing around on a mule and not in your immediate control.