Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by johnn
Why does everyone assume they are putting slugs in their shotgun?

Because most everyone that has minimal knowledge of ballistics, mass, sectional density, ect. would never use buckshot! It would probably be effective at absolute “point blank range”…… but, only on a head shot. On a large bear, at any distance……Penetration will suffer greatly! memtb

Uh, huh, you go expert..., shoot something at 10 yards w D0 and tell me how little penetration there is.

I say carry what works for you.

I totally agree with your premise….they work great at moderately close range on Whitetails, humans and smaller big game!

However, unless I’m guaranteed the attack be by a cub…..I’ll pass on buckshot! A large bruin (a lot of bear to penetrate to get to vitals), thick hair, probably a thick fat layer, heavily muscled…..will severely limit the penetration of buckshot!

I chose not to follow Brandon’s recommendations as to the effectiveness of a shotgun! 😂

I do however….fervently support a person’s right to carry/use whatever they desire! Though, I retain the right to question their decisions! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/04/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024