Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Before writing off shotgun slugs completely it might be worth doing some penetration tests with the Brenneke "magnum crush", which throws a 1.5 ounce {666 gr.} slug at 1600 fps with 3800 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy and particularly the Brenneke "special forces maximum barrier penetration magnum" which throws an extra hard alloy 1 3/8 oz {602 gr.} slug at 1650 fps with 3545 ft. lbs. muzzle energy. No doubt either would far out penetrate a Foster slug or any of the old 1 - 1 1/4 oz. Brennekes.
Since I don't have a rifled barrel, I'll stick with my well-stocked Brenneke Black Magics!

Anyone that thinks brenneke slugs are “The Ticket” needs to find and read member klikitarik’s post about a brenneke failure vs. a small/medium brown bear.
Klikitarik didn't use either of the slugs I listed. It's too bad the old Dixie Terminator and DGS slugs are no longer available. The DGS {dangerous game slug}was an 870 grain hard cast slug loaded to 1200 fps and if I remember correctly the Terminator was a 1000 grain hard cast at 1100 fps... I remember reading the results of penetration tests with those two where they shot them through various mediums that included cattle bones and the penetration equalled or exceeded some real thumper rifle rounds. There are some solid brass slugs being loaded today that also give significantly better penetration than Foster slugs. If I remember correctly it was thirteen 3/4" pine boards for the brass slugs vs 7 for the Fosters and 7 gallon jugs of water vs 4. I remember watching a video review of them but can't remember who makes them.

Edit.

Found it. The brass slugs are made by Ballistic Machinist.